Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Rosary gift for Daniel's mum after knitting socks for Pope

THE Pope gets new socks and the knitter gets new rosary beads.

Julia O'Donnell -- mother of singers Daniel and Margo -- knitted a few pairs of socks for Pope Benedict earlier this year, using the best Donegal wool.

"I just decided to knit a few pairs of socks for the Pope," the 92-year-old said.

"It would be nice to think that he had a few pairs all the way from Donegal and, to be honest, I expected to hear no more about it."

But earlier this week, Mrs O'Donnell got a pleasant surprise when the postman delivered a package from the Vatican containing a pair of rosary beads, a personal letter of thanks, a blessing and a memento signed by the Pontiff.

"I just couldn't believe it at first," she said.

"I never thought that anybody would take the time to do such a thing. I am absolutely honoured."

"I am delighted for my mother -- these gifts have been a real tonic for her and have given her a great lift," Daniel said.