Monday, November 23, 2009

My lover is not pregnant, says priest

The priest who quit his parish after falling in love has slammed rumours that his new partner is pregnant.

Fr Sean McKenna (51) has dismissed claims that separated mother-of-two Elaine Curran (37) is expecting his child.

Fr McKenna, who announced to his parishioners last weekend that he was leaving the priesthood because he was in a relationship, asked to be "allowed live in privacy and peace".

The couple began a relationship a year after health care centre nurse Elaine separated from her husband -- Cash 'n' Carry worker Liam.

Elaine and Liam have two children, aged 13 and seven.

Responding to the rumours, Fr McKenna said some of the coverage of his decision to step down from the Holy Family parish in Ballymagroarty in Derry had caused him and his partner great distress.

"It is for that reason that I now find it a painful necessity to state the following points regarding that relationship.

Friends

"She and I have been friends for many years. However, our relationship began a long time after the break-up of her marriage. At no time did I counsel her. She is not pregnant."

The priest insisted "it was never my intention to comment on such private, personal matters. When I announced my decision, I did so because I wanted to honestly inform the people and in fulfilment of my responsibility as a priest in a very wonderful parish."

Fr McKenna refused to comment on claims he is planning to wed Elaine after she is divorced.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Disclaimer

No responsibility or liability shall attach itself to us or to the blogspot ‘Clerical Whispers’ for any or all of the articles placed here.

The placing of an article hereupon does not necessarily imply that we agree or accept the contents of the article as being necessarily factual in theology, dogma or otherwise.

SIC: EH